mercredi 2 février 2011

People who inspire us

From Finance to Video Game Consultant: 
Neïth Assogbavi interviews Kristina DeRosa
Kristina DeRosa, an avid gamer has decided 
to turn her passion into her career.
Here are her uncommon path and aspirations.







Neïth: What did you study immediately after high school?
Kristina: Immediately after high school, I matriculated at Boston College to study finance.
Neïth: Did you have specific profession in mind at that time or did you find it out while studying?
Kristina: I had the general idea that I enjoyed number-crunching and managing processes, but it was not until I began recruiting for finance positions that I decided to join the world of securities sales and trading.
   **TRAVEL, STUDIES ABROAD**
Kristina DeRosa
Neïth: Did you have the opportunity to travel or experience another culture during your studies? And if you did, what did you gain from this experience ?
Kristina: I had the amazing fortune of spending my junior year abroad in Strasbourg, France, studying at IECS.  There were many priceless benefits to my travels, including gaining the type of unbiased perspective of my home country only found abroad, finding a confidence in myself I did not know existed through navigating multiple countries, languages and relationships, and making some of the most amazing, diverse friends the world has to offer. 
**CHILDHOOD DREAMS**
Neïth: The late Professor Randy Pausch, talked about how to achieve childhood dreams in an internationally acclaimed  last lecture, that is also a New York Times best seller.  At one point he says we shouldn't be afraid of the brick wall because it's there to stop the people who aren't motivated enough to achieve their dreams. In a way it gives more chances to those who are really determined.
What do you think of this metaphor ?  Do you agree with the role of the brick wall he gives ?
Kristina: I completely agree with this metaphor.  It sounds as if Randy Pausch would have had much in common with Paulo Coehlo, author of The Alchemist, who wrote that "Everyone, when they are young knows what their destiny is."  It is the way of life that our dreams can become clouded with what we believe are practicalities, with settling for what is easy or what seems to "make sense," with letting others' views of ourselves to affect our own views; it is these things that I believe are the brick wall Pausch may be referring to.  The difficult thing is to try to hold on to what we know we love and to fight for it despite all the internal and external stimuli telling us that our dreams are silly or too difficult.
  **THE DREAM JOB**
Neïth: Could you explain what your dream job is ?  What does it actually consists of 
Kristina: My dream job is to be the head of Strategy for a dominant publisher in the video game industry.  I want to guide the future of my company through trends, opportunities and challenges arising in the industry, and with it, help shape the future of the industry itself through my decisions.  This type of job is a combination of finance, marketing and research.
Link to Randy Pausch's last lecture : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo
Neïth: What lead to your interest in video games?
Kristina: I have been an avid gamer for as long as I can remember.  I have found that as both I and the game industry have matured, I am just as interested in following industry news and trends as I am in actually playing the games.  It is a fascinating industry, still very young and extremely dynamic, with a future rooted in the kind of exciting uncertainty that only the technology industry can incite.
Neïth: What technical skills do you have in IT? 
Kristina: I have little to no technical skills.  It is for this reason, as well as for my lack of a creative arts background, that made me initially question whether there was a place for me in the industry I love.  I eventually came to realize that I could mesh my business background with my in-depth understanding of the industry to land a job in strategic planning. 
**HOW TO FULFILL YOUR DREAMS**
Neïth: What advice would you give a person who is graduating from high school that could help her fulfil her professional dreams?
Kristina: The hardest thing in the world is figuring out what you want to do.  Think about what you are passionate about and then research the jobs that might be a match.  There are so many jobs out there that you may never have known existed and could be a better match than the typical "doctor, lawyer or businessperson" choice so many students face.  Also, never take a job just based on the compensation.  Loving what you do will enrich your life in a way that extra spending money never could.  Studies have shown that happiness and wealth are not correlated and from my personal experience, this is certainly true.
**ESSENTIAL SKILLS**
Neïth: What kind of skills do you think are essential to succeed in your studies and also in life in general?
Kristina: Focus.  Once you know what you want to do with your life, it is a simple thing to take the steps necessary to achieve it, but you need to learn to focus on your goal and block out distractions such as jobs that are easier to attain or that pay more or that are more prestigious.  Also, the value of networking cannot be overemphasized.  Be a kind, warm, open person and doors will open for you.  Something that many recruiters have told me is that experience can be gained and skills can be learned, but a warm personality and solid work ethic are rare and will take you far.


Good luck in your studies!
January 18th 2011

1 commentaire: