jeudi 12 avril 2012

Experiences Abroad

Pamela Telepeni, a French student, was in her 2nd year in Applied Languages (LEA) at the University of Strasbourg, when she got the opportunity to study in the US for a year. She had several options but  chose to go to Oklahoma State University in Stillwater. She says she really enjoyed having this experience on her own and would do it all over again without a doubt.
Here is her testimony.

How did you find out about the possibility UDS offered to send students to an American college for a year?
I heard some students talking about a program to study in the US and I was very interested. It appealed to me much more than the European Erasmus program which was limited to only one semester rather than a full year.

What made you make up your mind to go study in the US?
The fact that we could stay longer. Also, the financial help was better.. And somehow, there is this idea that America is this land where dreams come true

What did you expect?
I was expecting the region, Oklahoma, to be a place with cowboys, very hot, with a lot of agriculture. I was also expecting a huge campus just like the ones we see in movies. I was thinking about the fraternities and sororities.

What was it like when you got there?
Exactly as I pictured it. I felt like I was in a movie: the architecture, the cars, the people, the sun. I remember as the plane was landing, I was looking through the window and I saw those suburbs, with the houses that all looked the same, and that all had a swimming pool. Then in the van from the airport to the university, I was amazed to see how big the roads were, and also how big the cars were. Seeing all those pick-up trucks, and billboard along the road, was really something.

What did you think of the campus?
The campus was just as amazing. It was like a little town where you could really find everything you needed —  there were shops, restaurants, and jobs for everyone. It could be totally self-sufficient. But everything was a bit expensive. The sport facilities were awesome, there was a huge center with two swimming pools, and of course a lot of exercising machines, with hundreds of classes (dance, fitness, etc). All of this for free.
As for the classrooms, they were all very well equipped.

What classes did you take?
In the fall semester I took :
-American history
-Asian history
- Japanese
- Management
-German

In the spring semester I took:
-Asian history
- Japanese
-International business
- Marketing
-Business ethics

What did you think of the American professors?
They had a lot of charisma. They looked really smart and were also very friendly, I always felt like we were simply equals because you could actually talk about something important to them. They were also very dedicated to their work and to the students, always taking time to answer questions and help. And always encouraging. Or maybe I just had the best teachers on campus?

What did you think of the student life?
Students have to work a lot, but they also have a lot of fun, they always have something going on, whether cultural or social events on campus, or house parties. There was that street, called the Strip, with all the bars; it was just in front of the library and the Student Union. That’s where everything was going on. Unfortunately, I wasn’t 21 at the time.

Did you have to study a lot to get by?
Despite what we can see in movies, it is a lot of work. My first semester was spent in my room, studying, writing papers, preparing presentations, reading heavy books. But your hard work is always awarded by a good grade.
I guess being a foreigner also helps: teachers are less strict, they will be more understanding.

Was the language a struggle at all?
At first, it was really hard to understand, I always had to ask people to repeat several times, and I was always feeling embarrassed for not understanding. Very quickly though, it was no longer a problem. In class, especially in the auditorium, teachers won’t slow down just for you. You have to focus really hard to get the whole idea. After maybe three weeks, I was able to understand most of the things. Still, when the teachers made jokes, I didn’t get them.
Speaking was also quite hard at the beginning. But people were all understanding and patient, so it was not a problem that I made mistakes, they would kindly correct me.

Did you take the TOEFL (or TOEIC) test?
No, OSU was one of the universities where it was not necessary.

What kind of housing arrangement did you have? 
I lived in a dorm. It was more expensive than a private house. But the university offered a “study abroad floor”, with other exchange and international students, and Americans who were curious about other cultures. We were 60 or 70 on the floor and it was like a big family.

What did you think of your living arrangement?
Quite expensive ($383/month), I was sharing a room with someone (so, same room, two beds, two closets and two desks). We had two bathrooms on the floor, one for girls and one for guys, and all together we were sharing a lounge with a kitchen. For a year, it was enough. But I’m not sure I would spend another year in that kind of dorms. The good thing is that you get to meet other people and that’s what you need when you study abroad.

How did you finance your time abroad?
I got a scholarship from the French government to study abroad and I also had a scholarship from my home university in Strasbourg.

Did you spend more money than expected?
I did, because I traveled to other states during the breaks. I had to travel by plane because we were all too young to rent a car. Also, when you go abroad you want to  see everything you possibly can and don’t really count the money…

Did you travel around the US?
I visited Texas, California, Florida, Arkansas, and I traveled all around Oklahoma. I wish I had more money to visit other states such as Louisiana, Illinois, Colorado…

Did you do many activities?
We did some camping, hiking, canoeing, and there was always a food party somewhere.

Best memory?
I met a guy who soon became a close friend, he took me to all the parties and events.

Worst memory?
I had a few troubles with my roommate, we didn’t have the same rhythm, she would stay up all night and call her family (from China) at 3 am, she was quite messy and would always use my stuff without really asking.

Any regret?
I wish I didn’t study that much the first semester. I had a good GPA but it’s nothing compared to the good times I missed because I was spending hours studying alone in my room.

What struck you the most culturally in America?
I was in the Bible Belt. So people would always ask me to come with them to church and unfortunately for some of them, it was their favorite topic.
Also, people all use their car. Nobody really walks, and people taking the bus are either foreigners or very poor people. It helps to buy a car with others or to know people who are kind enough to drive you around.

Did you adapt to the new environment easily?
I would say yes. :) I still have some American habits sometimes.

How would you describe in one sentence your experience?
I want to do it again.

Did it change you as a person? How?
Yes, it opened my mind. I want to talk to people, I want to know about them. I haven’t come back to France yet, but when I do, if I do, I want to be the person that all the internationals know, I want to be there for them as people were here for me.
It also made me a lot more independent.
Somehow, it also proved to my family I was ready to leave home and fly with my own wings.

What kind of personality do you need to study abroad?
You need to be open-minded, spontaneous, independent (but you also need to know when to forget your pride and ask for help when you need it).

Any advice for students who would like to do a year in the US if their home unis offer it?
Don’t hesitate.
Don’t care about the money, you’re going to spend a lot, but it will bring you more than you can ever imagine.
Have a good camera.
Do all the things you can.

Interviewed by Justine

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire