lundi 2 avril 2012

People who inspire us




Tariq Ali is a chef in the Michelin Starred Restaurant Gramercy Tavern in New York City. However, before starting culinary school, he traveled the world, which changed his life. 
Here is his testimony.





Have you always known that you wanted to be a chef? How did you find interest?
No, I didn't know I always wanted to be a chef. However, I grew up with great food; my mother and grandmother were and still are tremendous cooks, so I grew up with an appreciation for food and interest in cooking was natural. I began cooking for fun when I was around 13 years old. My best friend and I would do it every Friday or Saturday. At the time I remember thinking it would be cool to own a restaurant, but never considered it seriously for another ten years.

What kind of personality do you need to be a chef?
If I had to pick one thing I would say having the value of work ethic and the desire to master a craft. To spend all your time pushing yourself to make food day after day is beyond passion for food. Passion motivates but I think one truly has to believe in dedicating time to achieving mastery of a craft. It’s so close to being obsessive.

Did you have the opportunity to travel or experience another culture during your studies?
Yes. I was fortunate growing up because my father was a foreigner. Though we never had the money to travel he instilled in us the importance of traveling. Luckily my eldest brother led the way and studied in the most foreign country he could, China. My other brother and I followed and soon fell in love with that country and the idea of traveling. I ended up studying abroad in Beijing during my undergrad for one year and spent a total of 3 years of life in China between the ages of 15 and 23.

When I decided to study culinary arts I thought of China and the importance of immersing oneself in a foreign culture. I found a culinary program in Italy and signed up right away. I spent a total of 6 months studying and working throughout Italy and Sicily.

Did it change you as a person? How?
Traveling changed my life forever. Every time I went away I came back a different person. I feel like my life took a dramatic change twice in my life. Firstly, when I went to china for the first time. This opened my eyes to a greater world. This happened every time I went to China, but the first time was the most dramatic. The second important time was when I went to work in Italy. For the first time in my life I was pursuing something of my own, in a foreign place I knew little about without brothers and family to support me. I matured so much through this experience. I learned responsibility and how to truly fend for myself.

Do you think there is a right time/age to travel?
I don't know if there is a right age, but surely a right time. I think young children don't need to travel because it doesn't resonate in their minds. However, when a child becomes mature, I think it’s important to nurture traveling.

Did both experiences abroad teach you the same things?
Both experiences taught me different things. My time in Asia was about so many things. Adventure and excitement. Taking pleasure in life and experiencing the foreign. I did mature but wasn't necessarily responsible. I think my time in Asia was about experiencing life and taking those experiences for what they were. It was a time of development in my life.

By the time I reached Italy I had a greater purpose. I wasn't there just for experience and fun. Career, knowledge and studies brought me there. It challenged me to go beyond pleasure and put myself in responsible situations. It took sacrifice and maturity and pushed me to grow personally and professionally. Despite all the fun and amazing times I had there, Italy was one of the toughest periods of my life.

How would you describe your internship in Sicily in one sentence?
The most humbling experience of my life.

How important is traveling in your job and in general?
Traveling helps in the understanding of culture, which is closely linked to food. Without an understanding it is impossible to have a true appreciation for anything. It’s about understanding the world you live in a little more. It's about appreciating the things you don't have or have a little more. Gaining perspective on the world is priceless education that will never be found in a classroom or textbook. That's true with food and anything else.

The late Professor Randy Pausch, talked about how to achieve childhood dreams in an internationally acclaimed last lecture, that is also a New York Times best seller.  At one point he says we shouldn't be afraid of the brick wall because it's there to stop the people who aren't motivated enough to achieve their dreams. In a way it gives more chances to those who are really determined.
What do you think of this metaphor?  Do you agree with the role of the brick wall he gives ?
I don't like this metaphor because it’s unrealistic and insensitive. To say that everyone faces the same wall is absurd. Having the courage to pursue dreams depends on so much and goes far beyond the individual. Family, upbringing, environment, encouragement, support, love, and exposure are what give individuals the confidence to break through that wall. I would never say any accomplishment of mine was done completely on my own. If I were to follow this metaphor I would say my family, my friends, my teachers and those who inspired me helped me break through that wall.
And to add to that anyone who made it over the first wall will tell you that there are only more walls awaiting you. That's life.

What advice would you give a person who is graduating from high school that could help her fulfill her professional dreams?
I'd tell them to take time to experience life. If that means traveling then they should travel. If that means working a job for the first time and learning responsibility then do that. If it means that they are ready for college then go for it. But I would emphasize that there is no wrong decision and they have the time and the freedom at that age to pursue new things and experience life. In the end it will help them grow as a person, which is most important.

What kind of skills do you think are essential to succeed in life in general?
I would narrow it down to two skills. Resourcefulness and the ability to communicate.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire